Google

Saturday, April 14, 2007

What is Wrong With...Teachers




First off, as a matter of housekeeping, I will start off every blog with "What is Wrong With..." then the topic of whatever I’m talking about. I think it will be the coolest thing ever, and if you have read any of my previous blogs then you already know that I am smarter than you and what I say is consistently correct. So here goes nothing.



What is Wrong With... Teachers!
I will tell you something that’s very wrong with at least one teacher... This guy is my Philosophy Teacher, I guess I will withhold his name out of courtesy and fear of suit of law, however he is a total dingleberry, and not even a real teacher he is a grad student teaching a 300 level course...is this normal? For one thing, he completely turned me off to philosophy, existentialism in particular because that is what the class focuses on. Well his lectures consist entirely of "well I think that is really interesting, what do you think", never anything valuable from the readings, and we still do not know what the flying heck "existentialism" is about.

Aside from being an awfully boring and disengaging teacher, the format of the class is pathetic. There are 3 exams worth 25% and 1 long paper also worth 25%. This would not be so bad if there was anyway of evaluating what you know between exams. The exam format is disgusting as well. He gives us 9 multi-tiered questions about his lectures a couple classes before the exam. Then he narrows it down to about 3 or 4 and we have to pick 2 or 3 out of the remaining questions. This format sucks because it only teaches memorization, never an actual grasp for the concepts, in my expert opinion as a professional student, a take-home exam would be far better.

However, the former is not what irks me so much about the class. What really grinds my gears is the audacity this guy possesses. Yesterday was exam day. My girlfriend, my friend and I were walking to class a good 20 minutes before the 2:30pm start. However, as we approached the building, we witnessed the instructor moseying away from class. The guy was in the most calm, soothing meander I have ever seen. We thought maybe he was going for a coffee or something and thought nothing major of it. Then when sitting in class, the clock moved along and waited for no one. He was almost 10 minutes late for a 50-minute exam! I don't know about you, reader, but whenever I am taking an exam I expect the teacher to be there plenty early. The simple fact that he was late is not even the worst part of it. The worst is that he was late and had the bravado to lecture us for another 4-5 minutes before even administering the exam... AND THAT IS STILL NOT THE WORST OF IT. His lecture was about etiquette! He informed us that it is not prudent to e-mail him at 1AM, the morning of the test about the test! OH! THE HUMANITY! Listen Pal...its not like your house was being set on fire by this inquisitive student, its not like they were shooting at your window with a cannon that shot doves, its not like they unleashed a million cicadas in your closet, nor is it as though the phone was ringing even once! It was an e-mail, that either you saw while you were already online and it possibly made a “ding” or even that you woke up, checked your e-mail and saw that someone had asked a question at said time! Oh gosh…if only I had done well on this exam. How dare you sir…how dare you!




Sorry about the long-windedness and lack of graphics in this blog, but it really hit home.



Dan




No comments: